Friday, April 19, 2013

Interview with Victoria Tierney - Cornish Dragon

Today I would like to introduce you to Victoria Tierney aka Cornish Dragon. Vic's Etsy shop is jam packed full of delights, from twinkling jewellery and hand crafted glass beads to elegant cloth art dolls and hand painted pixies.

How did you get started in jewellery design?

I have always crafted since a little girl and it influenced my first job as I'm a qualified florist. I also worked for Ratners, the jewellers in my home town, which started off my passion for making jewellery.

 

What would you like to do/learn/take up in the future to further your process?

I would like to learn how to do machine embroidery, make a cloth doll pattern from scratch. Plus also to improve my lampworking skills, I still have lots to learn and with that.

How has your crafting and inspiration evolved over time?

I suppose moving to Cornwall has influenced my inspiration and as my children have grown up that has changed some of my inspiration. I also love trying new things so that can influence my crafting.

What is your favourite ever piece of work?

That's a tough one as I make a lot of different things and have a favourite of each plus my tastes change. At the moment I suppose it would my Fairy Elves.


This set of elves were old and battered so I repainted them and added some wings. I do love making the elves, they seem to evolve and each have a different character.

Where do you find your inspiration?

I seem to say this a lot, Cornwall. The ruggedness of the landscape like the moors and coasts, its history, myths and legends are all a never ending and changing huge source of inspiration.

Do you craft for your living or is it more of a hobby/passion/obsession?

It's all of these, my living is my passion and my new obsession is usually my new hobby.

What is your greatest crafting success? And your most spectacular failure?

I don't know if I've had a greatest crafting success but the thing I do fail on is knitting I just can't knit. I have tried but it just won't go right, usually there are extra stitches, or holes. I would rather spend time on something I enjoy more.


What other crafts do you dabble in/would you like to try?

I will have a go at anything, well apart from knitting. lol.

Do you listen to music while you create? What is your favourite track?

I tend to listen to the radio during the day but in the evening I will listen to some music. I really can't pick a favourite track but at the moment my favourite artists is Seth Lakeman.

When not creating/crafting what is your favourite thing to do?

I read a lot. My favourite author is Terry Pratchett, I really enjoyed his collaboration with Stephen Baxter, "Long Earth". Favourite book at the moment is Afterlife by Stephanie Hudson, I'm totally hooked and waiting for some free time to read the next in the saga.

Who would you choose to play you in the movie of your life?
Well I would love it to be Zooey Deschanel.

No comments :

Post a Comment