Friday, May 3, 2013

Interview with Laney Mead - Izzybeads

Hey there, today I would like to introduce you to Laney Mead of Izzybeads. Laney's work is steeped in humor, peppered with fine detail and is completely brilliant.

How did you get started with lampwork?

By accident! I have never been girlie, my only jewellery was a simple silver ring that I had had from my teens, until I got married, then I developed a gold allergy through pregnancy so still wore my simple silver ring, small earrings and that was it. I have never been an 'elegant' sort of person, a bit rough and ready, jeans and jumper sort, so I never gave jewellery design any thought, until....a chance introduction at glass bead making and I was hooked. The jewellery was something I tried as I had the beads and I am still learning as try as I might, elegant pieces are just not my thing!


What would you like to do/learn/take up in the future to further your process?

At the moment, nothing really although I would love to be more forward in promoting myself, so I wouldn't mind a crash course in learning how to talk myself up a bit!

How has your crafting and inspiration evolved over time?

My art process has been a weird one! Having started my art passion, with drawing, life drawing, portraiture drawing, a dabble with big abstract murals and my dream of being a pet portrait artist in fine art realized, I seem to have drifted more to humour and caricature. I think I am much happier with the humour and fun side of art, perhaps it has helped me to lighten up in everyday living, who knows?

What is your favourite ever piece of work?

The portrait I did of my Izabel, when she was a puppy, its fine art with pencil and took many many hours and layers of colour.


Where do you find your inspiration?

All around me. I am intrigued with language, the play on words, I love my dogs, cats, chooks and even foxy loxy that ate the chooks, the cows the pigs, the sheep and people I pass on the street, it all finds a way into my glass.

Do you craft for your living or is it more of a hobby/passion/obsession?

Sort of all of those things. I don't have to make money to live on, I am lucky to be supported by my hubby, so I can concentrate on my kids (at least when they were little) and my small menagerie, its definitely an obsession, I wake up thinking glass, sculpture, funny things, its a great way to start the day. One day I will hopefully make money doing what I love, but for now, its a hobby that supports itself.

What is your greatest crafting success? And your most spectacular failure?

If you don't class success in money, my greatest success is achieving my 'arty' person. I was never able to go to art school, for personal reasons, and I took years to get over feeling like I was denied further education, I would have loved to go to University and take English and Art in some form, but then I would probably have gone into teaching, so by doing what I do is a success, I love to amuse the muse in me. I don't have a failure, I've spent too many years struggling with life and appreciate that each failure is a step towards success.

What other crafts do you dabble in/would you like to try?

I still draw, albeit its more of a doodle now, one day I would like to write. I did think that it would be an autobiographical style of book/writing and was encouraged to do this by my Aunt, but, I have come full circle in my life and think that would be too depressing. Perhaps a manual on how to make sculptural pieces to make you smile, that would be something I would like to do one day.

Do you listen to music while you create? What is your favourite track?

I love Radio 2, and sing along, badly, to all the old songs from the 60's (even though it was before my time), 70's glam rock and the romantic dross that was the 80's music. Music of choice has to be country music, I just love the ballad tunes.
Who is your favourite artists or designer?

I have so many favourites. I love the Impressionists, Degas and Manet, Monet and Renoir, Mary Cassatt and Matisse for his colour. I also love the colour of Patrick Heron a more modern painter who died in 1999. Those are some of my favourite painters. I suppose when it comes to glass, I have to name Leopold and Rudolph Blaschka, their work is something to be admired, it might not be the whimsy style I favour in my glass, but their attention to detail is something I could only hope for.

When not creating/crafting what is your favourite thing to do?

Read. I love to read. Anything and everything, although current favourite genre is fantasy, all those dragons and knights in shinning armour.

Who would you choose to play you in the movie of your life?

Dolly Parton. The boobs, the voice, the way she has chosen to live her life, the childhood she had and the way she has climbed her way to the top with grace and values. I love Dolly Parton.

No comments :

Post a Comment